Job ID: 513976
Location: CHATTANOOGA, TN
Civil Engineer, Geotechnics C - 513976
Organization: Chief Operating Office
Department: Dam Safety Services
Location: Chattanooga, TN (Also Nasville,TN; Knoxville, TN; or Muscle Shoals, AL)
Relocation: Relocation benefits are not offered for this position
Posting Open: 10/29/2022
Posting Close: 11/26/2022 at 11:59 PM EST
1. Serves as the technical expert for dam engineering analysis, evaluation, and design in the broad field of geotechnics including soil.
2. Performs, directs, or reviews studies or design work on dams and appurtenant works. Assists in the evaluation of dam performance and instrumentation data. Develops design guides and criteria, as required.
3. Provides support during dam safety emergency and emergency preparedness drills.
4. May serve as project engineer for assigned projects. Duties include leading the project team, establishing and accomplishing valid requirements, monitoring all phases of project performance, approving project changes within approved limits, and conducting lessons learned reviews at project completion.
5. May provide technical direction to engineers and support personnel.
Supervision and guidance are provided by the first-line manager and are generally limited to overall objectives, general guidelines and policy, and work priorities. The incumbent plans and executes the work with minimal supervision.
Skills and Proficiencies (May be job or organization specific)
In-depth Knowledge in Geotechnics. Broad Knowledge in Dam Engineering, Dam Safety Inspections, Dam Performance Monitoring and Instrumentation, Geotechnical Engineering, Soils Analysis; Environmental Permitting; Construction Processes; Leadership; Supervision; Communication and Interpersonal; Sound Knowledge of all Engineering Disciplines; Project Management; Engineering Economy; Dam Safety Guidelines
Minimum Qualifications (Consistent with Classification Standard)
Education and Experience/Certificates, Licenses, and Registration Requirements/Other Requirements
A Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or related field of engineering with emphasis in Geotechnics from an accredited engineering school. An advanced degree is highly desirable.
Several years of experience as a professional Civil Engineer working with the engineering analysis, design and evaluation of geotechnics related to dams.
A license as a Professional Engineer is highly desirable.
Equal Employment Opportunity
TVA values and embraces diversity. We encourage all individuals to apply regardless of race, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, sex, abilities/disabilities, sexual orientation, religion, veteran status and age. We strive to be inclusive of all the people we serve across the Valley.
TVA is an Equal Opportunity employer and complies with all applicable laws and regulations regarding equal employment opportunities. Any applicant or employee who believes s/he has a discrimination claim (including harassment or retaliation) must contact TVA’s Equal Opportunity Compliance office within 45 calendar days of the event or action s/he believes to constitute discrimination, harassment, or retaliation.
All TVA Non-Nuclear employees are covered by TVA's Federal Drug-Free Workplace Program Plan, in accordance with Executive Order 12564, Public Law 100-71 and the Mandatory Guidelines for Federal Workplace Drug Testing. Information regarding the Drug Free Workplace Program can be found at www.samhsa.gov/workplace. TVA Non-Nuclear employees in Testing Designated Positions, including those performing safety-sensitive duties are also subject to random drug testing. TVA Nuclear employees are subject to random alcohol and drug tests in accordance with 10 CFR Part 26 as mandated by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC).
How to Claim Vet Preference
If you are requesting to be considered as a preference-eligible veteran as outlined in the application process, you must submit your military documents before the posting closure indicated above. Please submit your military documents each time you apply for a position.
How to Submit Documentation:
1) Upload documents after you complete the application by clicking Careers Home, Cover Letters and Attachments, and Add Attachment, or
2) Email documents to [email protected]
Thank you for your service!